The MBA Academic Guidance & Placement Office considers it a pleasure to personally help each student navigate the class scheduling and college admissions process. Our Guidance & Placement Director, Mr. Doug Lombardi, is available to help with questions about high school, college, and career planning. Resources on this website can be utilized by students and parents.
Services provided through the Guidance & Placement Office:
- Meeting individually with MBA families to understand a student's specific needs
- Preparing for college admissions testing
- Exploring specific colleges and universities that might meet student goals
- Developing essay and resume-writing skills for college and scholarship applications
- Assisting seniors through each phase of the college application process
- Matching interests and aptitudes to possible majors and careers
- Providing information and application assistance for the Bright Futures Scholarship
- Advisement on PSAT, SAT, ACT and MAP® Growth™ results
- Providing information, application assistance, and course selection for the Dual Enrollment program
- Coordinating the Advanced Placement program and testing
All students in 9th through 12th grade are required to complete 25 hours of community service per year (100 hours during their high school career). Students will be afforded opportunities throughout the school year to meet these requirements but should also look for ways to serve outside of school. Additionally, due to the strict requirements set forth by the State of Florida and Bright Futures, only 5 hours of serving in a local church ministry (Sunday School/Kids Area) are allowed per year or no more than 20 hours in 4 years. Click here for form.
College Entrance Exams
MBA takes advantage of the PSAT to prepare students for college entrance exams. The PSAT provides preliminary training for the SAT and is administered each year to freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. Scores on the junior year PSAT are used to qualify for National Merit Scholarships, so for the gifted student who does well, the PSAT can be a means of obtaining recognition for college scholarships. Many SAT and ACT practice materials are available for free online, but MBA is pleased to recommend Khan Academy as a free quality source for SAT test prep. MBA students are encouraged to take the SAT and the ACT during their junior and senior years.